You know we love Christmas, after all we’ve already had five shows on the topic, covering things like:
- Christmas Monsters: Ten Terrors Of The Yuletide
- Holiday Hauntings: Christmas Ghost Stories
- Krampus: The Christmas Demon
- Elves: More Than Just Santa’s Little Helpers
- Santa Claus Is Real: Toys, Traditions, And Tulpas
Which means when we’re looking for something new to talk about Christmas, it takes a little bit of work. The thing about Christmas is that it’s been around so long, it means that there’s a whole world of traditions out there to explore. So, when we were doing research and discovered Catalonia’s marvelous Tió de Nadal (the pooping Christmas log) we knew we hit a jackpot for starting off a conversation about more weird Christmas traditions around the world. Every country that has Christianity has their own way to celebrate and they’ve got hundreds of years to develop their own unusual traditions.
So in this episode, we get to talk about stuff like:
- Also Spanish and feces-related, why is there a figure of a dude almost always hidden and dropping a deuce in Catalonia’s Nativity scenes?
- And while we’re on that, Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poo is the whole reason South Park started and how he’s just like the other Christmas Monsters in scaring kids into good behavior
- Santacon and Santa Rampage – getting wasted in Santa suits is America’s new great Christmas tradition
- The Three Kings tradition of Spanish speaking countries
- How those guys were originally astrologers, not Kings!
- The strange Bloody Mary type game that also shares the name “Three Kings”
- Is Christmas secretly an evil Satanic plot, some people think so!
So, if you think you’re family is weird on the Holidays, rest assured you are not alone!
The Sunspot song for this week is a weird instrumental version of the Christmas classic, “Sleigh Ride”. Although it does include a traditional instrument, acoustic violin, we twisted in some odd synths and arranged it in a 6/8 time signature instead of the typical 4/4.